Friday, January 10, 2014

A Little Bit About Smaug

I want to write a little bit today about Smaug.


When I got Smaug, the previous owner did not know how old he was, but she knew that she had him for 2 months. After looking at his size and weighing him, I was able to figure out Smaug is about 3 and a half months old. I plan on weighing Smaug each month and keeping a chart. He weighed in at about 4 grams January 3rd. I am guessing at an early October hatch date for the lil one.


The first thing I noticed is that Smaug is pretty calm. At first I started with handling him after a week in the bathroom, a towel against the bottom of the door, sitting on the floor in case Smaug was to jump around. I was really afraid I wouldn't be able to keep a hold of him and he would get lost! So I took every precaution I could.

   


I was relieved to find out that holding the juvenile Gecko wasn't as challenging as I thought it would be! I actually am comfortable with others in the family holding Smaug now as long as I am close by. They really are very friendly and loving creatures, and do they have the cutest sticky feet!

For the first week I looked and searched for poop while I noticed no food missing from the food dish. The previous owner had been feeding Smaug a mixture of baby food and Flukers Juvenile Crested Gecko food. This stuff smelled NASTY. I could hardly mix it without shying away from the smell. Now we know nowadays it isn't healthy to feed the Cresties just baby food, and I am unsure how good it really is to actually feed them half CGD and half baby food. I wanted to get him off of the sugary baby food though. After some advice from JB, I ended up ordering some Pangea CGD the banana kind to make the transition easier.

I have seen new poop almost every other day! So it must have worked. :) My experience with feeding Smaug crickets was very interesting! He really didn't know what to do with it for a while.



It was quite a scene to see! Anyways since then he has been doing well, handling about every other day for about 10 minutes for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment