Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Beginning of a Live Vivarium, Silk Plant Issues.

Part 1, Live Vivarium Start.


I ended up deciding to take the three older Boys I got this past week off of paper towels and on to beginning of the live vivariums I plan to do over the summer. I noticed that the three tanks were smelling musty and pretty gross despite the fact that two of the tanks were brand new, and had never been used before. So after taking a good amount of time sniffing around and doing some research, I decided to clean their tanks out and give them each a start to a live vivarium. I placed about 1-2 inches of Hydroponic clay balls I got at Petsmart for $10 a bag on the bottom. 1 bag will basically set you up for one tank BTW, but I was fortunate that the previous owners had given me a large baggie of them to begin with! I then added a double layer of carbon fiberglass mesh screening I used to make the screen part of my tanks, and added 1-2 inches of Eco earth on top of that. I then added one layer of fake leaves on top, just in case one of them jumps at a shadow, to help minimize the amount of Eco earth they might eat. I have already seen Nefarian dive and eat a small piece of paper towel, that was pretty nerve racking! I took some pictures of each of the tanks. The smell kinda went away, but was still there. I ended up switching almost all the silk plants out of Noz's tank, and his now smells pretty darn clean! So I think this week I am going back to Michaels and picking up more of the soft plastic plants instead of the silk ones. I hope that will help with the smell. This isn't a smell that I notice until I stick my head inside of their tanks, I just feel bad they have to sit in the stink!













I actually added a ledge in Noz's tank, but I will have to take more pictures later!


THANKS FOR STOPPING BY!

No comments:

Post a Comment